Leadership Summit 2008
August 7, 8 – Leawood, KS
“Leadership is not money, fame and power – it is responsibility” = Peter Drucker
The Job of the Leader:
1. Align the people – align them around the mission and value of the
2. Empower – help people unleash their potential
3. Serve – Serve your people
4. Collaborate – bring the organization together to do work – use their best talents to solve problems.
How do you develop leaders?
1. Understand the purpose of your leadership
2. Gain self-awareness (get out and do it – get feedback)
3. Have values
4. Follow your motivational strengths
5. Build support system around you
6. Lead on integrated life – be the same person in all environments
Plan to leave a legacy – What did you do to make a difference in the world during your life?
Leaders who fail don’t fail to lead others – they fail to lead themselves – they don’t know themselves – they are not well grounded